Wednesday, December 11, 2013

5k Yay!

I got to do two of my favorite things on Saturday - I ran a 5k & I went to our local Christmas parade! :)
(ps - I really hate taking pictures, but I just had to capture this moment!)
   I came in 1st in my age group & got a PR!! :) Even though I just ran a half less than a week earlier, I was feeling pretty good about being able to race. My only concern was that my training had been very focused on adding distance and working on my 1/2 goals. I really wanted to place, but I just wasn't sure if my legs were going to be able to move fast enough!
   I got one speed workout in at the track, 2x800, 2x1200, 2x800 with 200's between to recover. I was shooting for a 7:30 pace, but I ended up doing 8:15-8:30, which was still faster than my previous 5k PR pace (9:10).
   Here's the thing: I managed an 8:30 pace in the 5k, which got me a PR and 1st place in my age group, BUT.... that's the pace I need to be able to run 26.2 miles for a BQ - whaaaaaa? Well, gotta start somewhere - at least I'm hitting it in my 5k, now I just have to work on hitting it for my half.... that's my next goal... just takin' it one goal at a time... :)

.....and now for the Christmas Parade and my Loves.....
This picture really captures they way they felt about the whole thing... Cam was super excited and Josh was a little hesitant about the whole thing. Cameron went for the candy, Josh sat in my lap clutching his two favorite pieces of candy.

I love lOvE LOVE watching the Christmas parade! The lights, the music, the candy - I just wish it wasn't 80 degrees! (Confession: I'm a total parade geek - I ALWAYS watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade every year!!)

Do you race with goal times in mind or just to have fun?

Do you like parades? I love 'em! I also love the race sign that says "Worst parade ever" ha! I bet it's actually pretty entertaining to watch a bunch of runners galloping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment