Thursday, July 25, 2013

Treadmills, Wild Hair & Speed Work... OH MY!

S1) Treadmills: I had to do my "easy" run at the local YMCA yesterday and it was definitely a learning experience! I NEVER go - don't have a membership (just had to pay $6 to work out for the day) - I've always felt SUPER awkward working out in public. I mean, it's like running on a stage for EVERYONE to see - eeek!! But I really needed to get his run in, so I sucked it up and went for it.... and fell in love with the treadmill!!!
     I am absolutely terrible at maintaining pace, but on a treadmill it kinda forces you to stay on pace - no accidental speeding up or slowing down. So, let me rephrase that - I love/hate the treadmill!

2) Wild Hair: And really, this is just an extension of #1. While at the Y, I thought, 'Oh, I'll be running inside, in the a/c, so I won't sweat so bad!' So, I didn't braid my hair or wear a headband - I just pulled my hair up in a default pony tail and went at it... and ended up with a tangled mess of super-sweaty (ew! gross, I know) hair. :(  Lesson learned - you still sweat when you work out in the a/c!  ((Told ya' I'm new to this!))

3) Speed Work = Epic FAIL Learning Experience: I was supposed to do 3x 1600 @ my goal race pace - 8:45 w/ 800 jogs in between. Key words: supposed to. I hit a major, MAJOR wall after the 1st repeat. I got about 1/2 way through the second when I had to stop and walk. I ended up splitting the remaining sets into 800s and walking 400 in between. I'm not really sure what happened out there today, but I'm working on a few theories. (FYI - I did this exact same workout a few weeks ago at just a slightly slower pace with no problem - it was tough, definitely, but I did it.)
 As a newbie, I research EVERYTHING as it happens to me and this is what I found:
Training Fatigue

Have you every hit a training rut? How did you deal?


Do you love or hate the treadmill? (Or both like me?!)


Train by effort or by pace?

No comments:

Post a Comment