Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Not So Secret Goal: Boston!

I want to qualify for Boston.

There. I said it, or well, typed it. Either way, it's out there. Now you know. I haven't been running for very long. Not quite a year consistently, but I want to be a lifelong runner....and I want to qualify for Boston.

Boston Magazine's May cover

I realize I'm no where near that level now, but it's a goal I am working toward, and I am trying to make sure that I am doing the 'right' things to get me there.

1) Instead of just lacing up and leaving, I have started a stretching routine.

2) I actually cross-train. I just started Jillian Michaels' 'Yoga Meltdown' today. (OMgosh! Crraaaazy!!) The DVD is not my 1st choice but there is absolutely NO ONE in the entire county that I live in that teaches (is that the word??) yoga!

3) I am making conscious decisions about my food - seeing it more as the fuel my body needs and trying to make more healthy food choices.

After an injury scare earlier this year, I'm really trying to do the 'right' things, I just get kind of overwhelmed at times. I LOVE following other runners' blogs but sometimes I get caught up with and actually discouraged by how fast everyone ELSE seems to be! I'll feel awesome about a run and then when I see someone else's speed, I have the tendency to belittle my own efforts. I HAVE to STOP comparing myself to others!! I love this quote:

And this is another good one to remember:

There's a fine line between looking to others as inspiration and being to hard on yourself because you aren't as something as "everyone else".

All I can be is the best ME possible, and that's what I'm working hard at these days. I want to be stronger and faster than I was yesterday; I want to be nicer than necessary. I want to go out of my way to help others. To always do my best in everything I do, no matter how big or small..... and by this time next year.... maybe I'll be waiting for MY Boston confirmation.... if not next year, definitely the year after that. :)

2 comments:

  1. You mentioned lots of great goals! I hope you get into Boston. I'd love to, also!

    ReplyDelete